[SunRescue] Re: expensive paperweights

Michael Graziano rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 17:48:04 CDT 2001

"Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:

> Back when I was using a 486 as a file server, I didn't pack the drives
> together at all, but still the cases airflow was so poorly designed (the
> drive brackets were placed in dead zones), I had a drive die every 6
> months or so.  In the end I had to leave the case off to keep the machine
> alive.

> I hate this current case.  I hate all my current cases.  They are all
> ugly, and they all have poor airflow, especially considering that I want
> my machines packed with periphs.  Maybe I will be able to scrape together
> the cash to replace them...

This is something I've noticed with PC Cases too, the solution for me
was to wire up two 120VAC Fans to the power switch in my server machine,
one blows into the case at the bottom front (through a venting grille
that
was placed there seemingly for just such a purpose, though I had to hack
at the frame a bit to fit the fan in), and the other blowing up and out
at the top right over the drive bay (fastened to the old-style steel
frame
and blowing through holes drilled in the top of the case).  Not a
finger-friendly solution by any means, but you shouldn't be sticking
your fingers into a running server anyway.  The only downside is the
machine is a mini-tower, so the fan in the top eats the drive bay I
would
have used for a floppy.

/~mikeg