[SunRescue] [OT] Digital Equipment Questions

Michael A. Turner rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 12:26:01 CDT 2001

	I would not mind running debian, but my thought at this time is that
I would like to try and get the digital Unix installed and running on
SOMETHING that I have here. Why you ask, because I can install
redhat/debian/BSD on one of the PCs or macs I have laying around, I can't do
that with the Digital Unix. That is why I am so hot to get it running on
something, so that I can say that I have done so, a spirit that I am sure
that many on this list can emphasize with :-). My personal reference to
doing things like this is "Stupid Tech Tricks" like my project to a convert
a netpliance into a briefcase laptop.

	Michael A. Turner

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Michael A. Turner wrote:
>
> > 4. On the Alpha I want to load some sort of *nix operating system but
> > all teh docs I have read lead me to beleive that this is desinged for
> > windows NT, a bad thing in my opinion.
> >
> > I would like to load the digital unix onthis machine but from reading
> > the instructions on installing redhat for the alpha, this may not be
> > possible or practical.
>
> Debian would be a much better choice IMHO -- www.debian.org

I have debian on an Alpha at work (just next to me ATM as it happens) and
it runs fine.

Install over-the-net for debian worked fine. Remember that many alpha
systems have different BIOS versions for different booting features. IIRC
the one I have installed is the one which is capable of booting WinNT. The
other (text-mode one) is AIUI for booting DEC Unix.

dave at alpha:~$ uptime
  5:06pm  up 120 days, 22:15,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
dave at alpha:~$ uname -a
Linux alpha 2.2.18pre21 #1 Wed Nov 22 05:08:09 CST 2000 alpha unknown
dave at alpha:~$

dave at alpha:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : PCA56
cpu variation           : 0
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       : Linux_is_Great!
system type             : EB164
system variation        : SX164
system revision         : 0
system serial number    : MILO-2.0.35-c7b
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 533168416
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 40
max. addr. space #      : 127
BogoMIPS                : 529.53
kernel unaligned acc    : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc      : 4 (pc=200002cf53c,va=12014efec)
platform string         : N/A
cpus detected           : 0
dave at alpha:~$

rescue maillist  -  rescue at sunhelp.org