[SunRescue] Rescued a Model 712/60

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 11:55:54 CDT 2001

> I'd recommend nextstep...  that's what my 712/80 is running, and I've been
> happiest there out of HPUX, NeXTstep, and linux...  (though, admittedly,
> I haven't tried linux on it for about a year, and it was not ready for
> prime time when I was playing with/developing on it).  NeXTstep is
> extremely pretty if you are lucky enough to have gotten a 712 with the
> 24bit "artist" graphics (what mine has).

how is nextstep headless? i've used HP-UX and i'll pretty much do anything i
can to avoid it.  the last think i need is ANOTHER monitor on my desk.

> They'd be a nice little RISC workstation if you could get a good OS onto
> one.  (like a linux port that didn't suck).

i'm holding off until NetBSD supports it, or maybe i'll take some initiative
and try to get NetBSD on it myself, although i thinks the SGI MIPS boxen i
have will get worked on before the HP.

-brian