[SunRescue] Q: on SS/5-170...

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 11:53:37 CDT 2001

> <ObRescue> As far as I know, the fastest *official*
> drive for that case is 2x...but there are supposedly
> up to 8x drives that someone has found which are
> compatible if you have the "small CD-ROM/big floppy"
> Aurora 1 case as I do.  If you have the "regular
> 1/2 height CD-ROM/thin floppy" Aurora 2 case, then
> you can use almost anything.

there is a 4x SunCD drive that will fit in that case, but it is very hard to
find and VERY expensive if you do find one.

> I had enough trouble finding a faster internal CD-ROM
> that I went ahead and got a 24x external when one
> popped up for a reasonable price.  YMMV.

4x is the fastest that'll fit in that case, so your options are slow and
internal or fast and external.  or case mods, which i'm always up for. :)

although, on the other hand, 1x/2x is more than fast enough to boot from.
i keep a Solaris CD in the 1x internal on my sparc20 server, and since i have
remote console to it, i can boot from CDROM and do whatever i need to remotely
without being SOL if something non-hardware blowing up bad happens.

cheers,

-brian