[SunRescue] Rescued a Model 712/60

Phil Schilling rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 05:34:55 CDT 2001

Ken,
	Try this procedure,  as I remember this allowed login as root in single
user with no password prompt.  I could then change the password from there.
It's been a while, but I got a 715/64 that I didn't have the password for
and that was previous to me obtaining the entire HPUX 10.20 software on cd.
Yes you can boot from the cd, via the boot menu.  Try this:

reboot the machine (for instance with the command shutdown -r -y 0)
interrupt the boot sequence by typing ESC once, the boot process may
continue to search for bootable devices and present a list and a menu
if you see a list of potential bootable devices: choose in the list a Pn
which corresponds to the disk you normally boot from (usually P0) and type
something like:
b Pn ipl
if you don't see the list, type:
boot pri isl
finally load the kernel (`/hp-ux' on HP-UX 9, `/stand/vmunix' on HP-UX 10)
by typing:
hpux -is kernel

The important thing is the `-is' flag that tells HP-UX to start in single
user mode..

Phil Schilling

"Doesn't it bother you that we have to look for intelligent life OUT THERE?"