[SunRescue] Rescued a Model 712/60

Jeff Workman rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 21:00:46 CDT 2001

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Ken Caruso exclaimed:

> 	Does anyone have any reccomendations for OS, HP-UX is one of the
> few mainstream commercial unices I have never dabbled with. I would
> imagine NetBSD would scream on it. It has 64m of ram.

Kick ass! I've got 2 of these that I have never turned on since the day I
rescued them.  Mine only has 32 MB though.   As for OS, I think at this
point you're pretty much limited to HP-UX or Nextstep.  I know that NetBSD,
OpenBSD, and Linux ports are in the works, but last time I checked they
were far from complete.

> 	Can I boot of a PC-SCSI cdrom or Sun CDROM, I have both.

I know that you can boot from either on the 715 series, I imagine that the
712s would be no different.

> 	Any thing worth mentioning in general with these machines?

I have no idea, except I recall that when they were new they were < $1k
each, they were HP's attempt at making a low-cost unix workstation.

> 	Any easy way to root this box from the console without booting
> from cdrom or floppy? I guess depending on how old the version of HP-UX
> is, it might be easier to break in from the network (it does have dhcp
> enabled :).

HP-UX has had quite a few holes in it over the years.  Depending on which
version of the operating system it has, and the patches installed, I
imagine it would be pretty easy to remotely root this box.  Check
securityfocus, rootshell, etc. for some good 'sploits.

Jeff (Who loves 0wning machines that he's rescued right before he wipes out
the OS and installs fresh)

--
"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.