[SunRescue] OT: Laptop - RAM Query

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 15:32:49 CDT 2001

> Heh, you think this will be the last one?  :-)

well, for today, perhaps.

> Although...  What about the UltraSPARC based notebooks?  Where do they top
out?

I should have mentioned - we use 3 CAD tools here, one of which is an NT
only thing.  Not to mention that the corporate 'office' software is Office
2000, MS Exchange, etc.

> Why are you even -considering- replacing CAD workstations with
notebooks?  etc snip>

All of your points are on target.  BUT.  We're driven by our clients - if
they like us, and we provide decent services for the money, we'll be in the
clover.  We get a *huge* competitive advantage to having our senior
designers fly in, sit with the engineers at *their* desk and do their design
thing.  If they don't need *any* support from the client beyond a desk and
chair, they'll like us even more.  It's a huge pain for some of those folks
to provide extra licenses, workstations, etc. just so the visiting
contractor can sit for a week or two in their office.  Bigger pain for them
to come to our place, in spite of the free lunch, coffee, etc.

Also, if the senior designers can take their laptop with them, the idea is
that they'll work weekends, nights, early mornings (they are well
compensated)  etc.  These guys truly are monomanical when it comes to work
<grin>.

Even though they are looking at replacing desktops for selected senior
people, I plan on keeping the desktops handy.  I do imagine they may want
them in addition to their laptops, someday.

Sorry for rambling

brian.