[SunRescue] OT: Laptop - RAM Query

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 15:09:24 CDT 2001

On 29 May 2001 12:09:24 -0700, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> If the list can suffer one more off-topic question: Laptops and RAM

Heh, you think this will be the last one?  :-)

> The 'best' laptops money can buy seem to be made by Dell and Gateway - but
> their RAM available seems to top out at "only" 512 mb.  (The desktops we own
> have 768mb RAM and we need every bit of it).

I agree here, although Toshiba is a heck of a lot of laptop for a HUGE
amount less money.

> ARE there laptops available that have the option to install more RAM than
> 512mb?

Maybe.  The things to look for would be Compaq and Asus, I doubt that
anybody else would have them.  Although...  What about the UltraSPARC
based notebooks?  Where do they top out?

> Why Do I Need to Know?
> The CAD tools we use require an obscene amount of RAM to function.  We're
> being blessed with the opportunity to purchase some laptops to replace the
> designer's desktop systems (Lucky us!) . . . but there is concern that 512mb
> won't be 'enough'.  Money is a concern, but we have the money to spend, if
> we need it.  Yes, I'm looking, but not having much luck.

Why are you even -considering- replacing CAD workstations with
notebooks?  Desktop systems are going to deliver a lot more performance
for a lot less bucks, even if you get an LCD on the desktop.  The
SunBlade 100 takes 512MB DIMMs, giving it a max of 2GB of ram.  I'm sure
you can get high end workstations from Dell or HP that run those little
silly Intel procs which can handle just as much ram.  Disk access on a
notebook will be a fraction of an equivalent desktop drive, and probably
2 generations behind a typical desktop drive.  Laptop screens max out at
a 15" 1600x1200 display, whereas you can get a 22" LCD on the destop,
with an even more insane resolution if you want it.  Anyways, I'm off to
find some notebooks in the $1500 range to give out to our professors.
Later,
	Greg

--
Troll, troll, troll your post