[SunRescue] RE: Bill's Big-Honkin bandwidth!

Jeff Workman rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 27 04:31:03 CDT 2001

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as David Murphy exclaimed:

> I always wanted to run UUCP....
> 8)

UUCP is neat.  My first ISP had "proprietary" windows software for reading
mail and news that worked via UUCP.  You could use POP3 or NNTP over dialup
PPP as well, but their software was actually pretty good.  I remember that
I had my first Linux box running UUCP long before I ever got PPP
configured.  For news, they had a bot that you would send
subscribe/unsubscribe messages to let the news server know what groups you
wanted and what groups you didn't.

What sucked was that it was an 800 # service, and cost $5.40/hr after you
used up your 4 hours that was included in your monthly fee.

Jeff

--
"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.