[SunRescue] S100 BUS

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 26 23:21:34 CDT 2001

My NorthStar still has a DC Hayes (anyone remember them?) MicroModem 100 installed in
it. It's one of the first internal modems made for computers, although at the time it
wasn't quite as popular as one made my a company called PMMI, because the PMMI one
could be pushed to 600 bps where the Hayes one only went to 450bps, both using the
Bell103A standard.

It also has a couple of 8k static ram cards, a NorthStar brand 32k dynamic ram card,
and another 16k card as well., so it really had 64k or memory, but only 56k was
active due to the N* disk controller card. Nice machine, I would like to get it
resurrected.

-Mike

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> [ On Saturday, May 26, 2001 at 20:19:14 (+0100), Kevin Lee wrote: ]
> > Subject: [SunRescue] S100 BUS
> >
> > I actually owned a working Northstar in Canada over 15 years ago. It did  use
> > the wierd hard sector format floppies.   It was an S100 BUS machine. I  loved it
> > It even came with a FORTRAN/COBOL compiler, and of course BASICA.  CPM a
> > nice OS.
> >
> > AH....S100 BUS machines those were the days.   I really miss my
> > OSBOURNE & KAYPRO SNIFF.....
>
> The first computer I ever used was a Sol-20 with dual Northstar floppy
> disks and Northstar BASIC.
>
> It had 56KB static RAM and a 64x16 display terminal!
>
> We eventually even got a UCSD Pascal system for it!  Oh bliss!  Oh Joy!
>
> --
>                                                         Greg A. Woods
>
> +1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
> Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *