distributed mailing list? (Was Re: [SunRescue] Question...)

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 12:23:28 CDT 2001

"Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Yeah, well, one of the main goals of my project is to get rid of perl,
> because perl takes more diskspace than a stripped python install (maybe a
> stripped perl install takes less.  I'm not that intimately familiar with
> perl).

perl ships with a LOT of modules, none of which are needed - they're just
DAMNED useful.  perl also doesn't need to take up much memory.  You can
compile it so that instead of a several-hundred-K interpreter for each
process you have a tiny tiny stub program and a several-hundred-K shared
library.

FYI, on this x86 box, a minimal perl 5.005 takes around 500K.

             If a job's worth doing, it's worth dieing for