[SunRescue] My darn Axil 245... (again) - 72 Pin Memory FS/FT

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 12:19:11 CDT 2001

Yes, counting from the back (connector) side of the unit, I filled in 1+4, then 2+5, with 16 Meg SIMMs, and 3+6 with 8 Meg SIMMs. 80 Meg total.

I'd prefer 96 Meg, if not more, but this is good for now - it just frustrates me that I have all this "parity RAM" sitting here and no use for it.

I wonder, anyone know if these 33 bit SIMMs work in a DEC Alpha Multia? I've got two of those coming into rotation on my workbench, maybe I should just put the memory aside for now...

The project for this week will be to start all over again with the SCSI string on this box, currently it has an internal micropolis 1 Gig HD, as well as an external CD-ROM. I can't get the unit to boot off the CD-ROM, it throws all kinds of hissy fits. I have a brand new (refurb) Barracuda 4.3 Gig drive I want to put in there, so my thought is I'll start from ground zero, take outth eintenral drive, install the Barracuda, then think through every termination setting, and try and install Solaris on it (or maybe RH Linux R6.2) - it has a very nice framebuffer, a TGX+ built-in...

This might be a fun little Linux "play box", since I suspect it has a cash value of something slightly less than the value of the RAM in the system ;^)

It is a nice sized box though, and I like that the SCSI cage is set up so that you can remove the floppy and add another SCSI drive (the SCSI cable/power plug are already installed!)...

Ken