[SunRescue] What does it really cost to run that thang!

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 24 10:44:22 CDT 2001

I wrote this up one day when there was not much going on. I got the info
mostly off of the 'net and partly from the CRC handbook.  It takes
into account the electricity to run the equipment and any A/C needed to
cool it (that is if it is not winter in MN :).  <br>
This is a small example of some of the considerations of engineering
management. (e.g. if the equipment is cheap/free, it still may not be
cheap/free electricity wise).<br>
For those of you in Rio Lindo, California, electricity is that thing that
comes on once or twice during the day.<br>
I am open to comments/suggestions to improve the document, let me know,
thanks!<br>
Gil<br>
This document is to serve as a tool to help calculate the cost of running
and cooling a piece of equipment.  The formulas used below were
gathered from common knowledge and industry web sites.<br>
There are two primary power draw concerns, one is the AC used to power
the equipment, the second is the AC used to cool the equipment.<br>
First, there is the cost of powering a piece of equipment.  This can
be figured out with the following simple formula:<br>
(Price per KWH/(1000KiloWatts/Watt)) * (Watts/1000)*(unit of time)=cost
to run the equipment<br>
For example:<br>
($.08/KiloWatt-Hour) * (100 Watts/(1000watts/KiloWatt)) * (24 hours/day *
30 days/month)=$5.76/month<br>
 A 100 watt device, at $.08/KWH would cost $5.76/month to run on
electricity.<br>
To figure out the cost of cooling that device, we need to figure out the
BTU output of that device and the efficiency of the AC unit involved in
the cooling process.<br>
BTU output of the device:  If the device is generally 100%
electronics (as machine room equipment usually is), the electrical to
heat conversion efficiency of this device is generally near 100% (other
energy output, such as noise and light are negligible).<br>
The formula to figure out the cost to cool a device, when the wattage of
the device is known, is:<br>
((Watts *  (3.41 BTUH/Watt) * (unit of time)) / (SEER or EER rating
of unit)) * (Price per KWH/(1000 watts/KW)) = cost of electricity to cool
the equipment<br>
For example:<br>
((100 Watts *  (3.41 BTUH/Watt) * (24 hours/day * 30 days/month) / (
10 SEER or EER )) * ($.08 KWH/(1000 watts/KW)) = $1.96/month<br>
A 100 watt device will cost $1.96/month to cool using a 10 SEER/EER A/C
unit in electricity alone.<br>
<b>Thus, the total pure electrical cost to run a 100 watt electronic
device off of street power 24/7 is $7.72/month given $.08/KWH and a 10
SEER efficiency A/C unit.<br>
</b>At 10:22 AM 5/24/01 -0500, you wrote:<br>
I'm in Northfield, MN. I run my 630 most all the time, but the 670
is<br>
sporadic. I'd have to leave the 630 off for a month, and see how much
the<br>
bill went down.<br>
OTOH, when both are running, it makes the basement much more
comfortable,<br>
especially during our fine MN winters.  .  . <grin><br>
Steve<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>