[SunRescue] Re: Multics

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 24 00:56:22 CDT 2001

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu said:
> I'm not sure that anyone could sit down and write a PL/1 compiler.
> The spec was huge.  I mean, it was so large that nobody ever fully
> implemented the spec.

There are in fact lots of commercial PL/1 compilers out there....

Liant.com claim to have implemented the "full IBM PL/1 features" and at
the same time to be compatible with DEC, DG, Wang, and Prime and their
compiler runs on many platforms.  Of course IBM have their PL/1 compiler
available on most of their supported OS platforms.

I remember rumours of someone writing a PL/1 parser front-end for the
GNU compiler (i.e. egcs), and I don't see why it would be that hard
given the resources.  After all there's an Ada parser for it!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>