[SunRescue] Re: Multics

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 23:32:22 CDT 2001

Linus didn't port anything - he wrote it. Same with R. Stallman. That is the
accomplishment!

Unix was written in assembler first, then re-written in C, after C was
developed.

Unix as it stands now is written primarily in higher-level language (C,
C++?), with machine specific bits written in C. It used to be that Unix
could be ported to a new machine, running a supported processor, in just a
few days, if the right person was doing the porting. You only had to code
Unix to work around the quirks in the hardware...

Ken