[SunRescue] Dumb Term

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 19:12:59 CDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 16:43:30 (EDT), dave at cca.org wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Dumb Term
> >
> > I think there were a bunch of machines like that around that time...
> > might have been an SGI IRIS-1000 series machine? That used XNS which
> > is just ethernet with a different packet format.
>
> I don't remember SGI even being a glimmer in anyone's eye at that time.
>
> It certainly wasn't an IRIS-1000.  Haven't all SGI machines been based
> on the MIPS chips?  Hmmm.... I guess not (according to the IRIS FAQ)!
>
> Of course the original IRIS-1000 was a SUN variant.....  :-)
>
> But the IRIS had disks -- the machine I'm thinking of had none, not even
> provision for one.

I thought that the first SGIs had no disks and were meant to be terminals
for VAXs.  However, the IRIS-1000 the FutureTech faq flatly contradicts
this theory.

But then, I look at http://iris.elte.hu/iris/sgi-faq.html-1/hardware.html,
which is the newsgroup faq, and it says that the iris-1?00 machines where
smart terms with no user accessible OS.

>From http://mane.mech.virginia.edu/~engr160/Graphics/GH80.html, "The
following year in 1983, SGI rolled out its first system, the IRIS 1000
graphics terminal."

Anyway, I've heard numerous other places that the IRIS-1000s were
terminals, not workstations.  I kinda like the idea, for some perverse
reason.

--
Joshua Boyd