[SunRescue] Dumb Term

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 18:11:43 CDT 2001

woods at weird.com writes:

>I've got a VT180 (i.e. the VT100 with z80, with dual 5.25" floppy
>drives).  I never got around to finding the CP/M diskettes for it, and
>since it worked just as well as a "dumb terminal" I used it as such (its
>one with a switching power supply so even better/lighter/cooler than the
>older ones!  :-).  I need to repair a blown electrolytic on the video
>board again though....

I'm sure I can get a copy of CPM for that, if you're interested.

>There must have been quite a few in cirulation.  Back when I would have
>liked to have had my own CP/M machine I think the VT180 would have been
>a dream machine.  Much better than the Apple-II with z80 card I used one
>summer long ago....

I had a Xerox 820-II for a while, but it was already a collector's piece
when I was playing with it.

I also had a PDT-11/150. That was a nice take on a desktop PDP-11.

>exactly -- only tiny degrees of smartness there....  Even an AT&T-705
>with multi-session support isn't much beyond "dumb"  :-)

>Now the DMD-5620 (aka blit aka jerq) is a real blend of dumb terminal by
>default with full general purpose programmability in the extreme.  Too
>bad they didn't put anything faster than 19.2k rs232 on it.... 4 MIPS
>32-bit CPU with 1MB RAM (when expanded)!

I've never seen either of those in person. I was looking back when my
main home computer was a 3B2, but I never found one.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --