[SunRescue] Tape drive

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 15:21:21 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 13:57:48 (-0400), Joshua D. Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Tape drive
>
> How much disk space did that machine have before the new chips were put
> in?

I don't really remember.  I think the increase was about an order of
magnitude (which would possibly work out given what was done).  As I
recall there were two rows of 14" removable disk pack, washing-machine
sized, drives in the middle of the machine room.  I don't know if that
was the entire set, or just some of them, and I don't remember how many
there were (more than I could count in a quick glance), maybe 20 or
more.  According to the site listing on www.multicians.org there were 5
CPUs in the end, though the Summer 1983 edition of "The Big Byte"
(UofC's ACS newsletter that I happen to have handy on my shelf), they
mention the comming installation of the 5th and 6th DPS-8/70M CPUs.
Maybe the 6th never happened....  There's no mention anywhere any more
of the storage capacity though.  I think (based on looking at
configurations of other systems) that the largest disk before the
upgrade might have been about 160 MB but that just doesn't compute.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>