[SunRescue] multics is dead, long live multics!

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 14:06:30 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 13:40:24 (-0400), Joshua D. Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] multics is dead, long live multics!
>
> Hmm, PL/1.  I remeber some people telling me about the exploits they
> hacked out it that.  I think I'll pass.
>
> I think that some people do things on computers to gross each other out
> (like programming a complete OS in forth starting from only the boot
> monitor on a Sun), and from what I've heard, working in PL/1 might just
> fall into that category.

I never liked PL/1 either.  Far too complex.  They say Ada's bad for
being designed by a committee, but PL/1 was designed by an IBM committee!

And IIRC Multics PL/1 had extensions too.

I took all three Multics PL/1 manuals to a test one time (we were
allowed to bring reference materials) -- they were about 8-12 inches of
solid paper.  I don't think it helped me much, but it was fun to see the
look on the prof's face when I staggered in!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>