[SunRescue] solaris7 i/o tuning

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 01:24:21 CDT 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 08:47:24PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 21, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > zippy, provided you can stand its crappy subpar SQL interface (subselects,
> > transactions, and real ACID-ity just aren't there).
>
>   Well I certainly don't need any "fancy" SQL stuff...this is a simple
> application.

I don't know your application, but my guess is that sooner or later you
would be able to take advantage of the added SQL features that are supported.

Plus, you can write your own functions and call them within SQL, plus add a
trigger which is run whenever you add/update/delete data.  One app I am
familiar with keeps a separate audit table which just holds old versions of
the data - a trigger on the table inserts the old data whenever there is an
update or delete.

>   Can't do that...this is gonna be many gigabytes of data.

Both MySQL and PG have some limitations when you get to either 4GB or 2GB.
Dunno about MySQL, but under PG no single table can be more than 2GB in
size.  If you run on Alpha (and maybe Sparc/64) the limit is much higher
than 2GB.

>   Ok.  I used Postgres many years ago (before it had an SQL interface)
> and did some neat things with it.  Is it stable enough for production
> use nowadays?

I believe so, based on my experiences with it.  More stable and has better
data integrity than MySQL.  Maybe not as stable as a properly setup Oracle
DB, but then, you need an expensive Oracle DBA to set up Oracle...PG is
much easier to admin.

./patrick