[SunRescue] solaris7 i/o tuning

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 20:17:22 CDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Ack...ok, I'm open to alternatives.

I agree on the sucking for writes part.  It relies on buffered fs IO for
_everything_.

>   Well I certainly don't need any "fancy" SQL stuff...this is a simple
> application.

Transactions are pretty basic.  Outer joins are a bit more esoteric.

>   Can't do that...this is gonna be many gigabytes of data.

Use cachefs in non-shared mode with a tmpfs front and and ufs backing
store on a system with many gigs of striped swap.  This effectively gives
you 2-phase commit benefits even with an approach as naive as MySQL's.
Usually.

>   Ok.  I used Postgres many years ago (before it had an SQL interface)
> and did some neat things with it.  Is it stable enough for production
> use nowadays?

It seems reasonably stable but last I checked the JDBC interface to it was
not ready for prime time.  If you're not using Java this will obviously
not be an issue.

-James