[SunRescue] solaris7 i/o tuning

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 00:46:42 CDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Both MySQL and PG have some limitations when you get to either 4GB or 2GB.
> Dunno about MySQL, but under PG no single table can be more than 2GB in
> size.  If you run on Alpha (and maybe Sparc/64) the limit is much higher
> than 2GB.

MySQL finally lifted this limit when they went to "MyISAM" for their DB
format.  We beat on it pretty hard with some 20GB tables and it seemed
solid.

> I believe so, based on my experiences with it.  More stable and has better
> data integrity than MySQL.  Maybe not as stable as a properly setup Oracle
> DB, but then, you need an expensive Oracle DBA to set up Oracle...PG is
> much easier to admin.

I'm not a trained/professional Oracle DBA, and I've found it relatively
simple to set up in the sense that it's not really more difficult than the
hoops that MySQL makes you jump through.  It requires some different
techniques (organizing tables in virtual storage pools instead of physical
files on disk) but nothing is really a showstopper.  I was a Sybase admin
for a number of years and found the transition remarkably painless.

Going from Sybase to MySQL was a much, much worse shock.

-James