[SunRescue] PCRetro and Ultra 1 questions (was: Twentieth Anniversary Mac (was SparcStationVoyager....))

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 17:27:08 CDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> Related question (which I really should have known
> the answer to long ago, but never bothered):
> What's the canonical list of *real* differences
> between an Ultra 1/170 and a 1/170E?  Not sure
> which one I really got, but 'twould be nice to
> know.

U1 has: 3 sbus slots, fast/narrow SCSI (10MB/s), 10baseT ethernet (le)

U1E has: 2 sbus slots, 1 UPA slave slot for a framebuffer, fast/wide SCSI
(20MB/s), 100baseT ethernet (hme)

> Second related question which I really should have
> known more about before--are all the Creator 2D/3D
> cards either UPA or PCI?  IIRC I heard of an
> SBus variant at some point, but it may only have
> been a prototype or a drug-induced hallucination.

All are UPA.  None are PCI or any other bus.  There are two "styles" of
UPA framebuffers with different form factors though, one is a mezzanine
sbus-like style (as used in the U1/2/450/Enterprise) and one is a vertical
PCI-like style (used in just about everything else).  The PCI style has
the UPA connector positioned just past where a 32-bit PCI connecter would
be, so one physical slot location can do double duty as a PCI slot or UPA
slot (as seen in the SparcEngine AXi).

-James