[SunRescue] Confused SS5 booting -- drive ID?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 12:28:23 CDT 2001

> > My confused SS5 is still not booting correctly on non Solaris
> > (Net/OpenBSD) installs.
> >
> > I just opened it up and it appears both drives have ID=0.
> > Is this correct for SS5 drives?  Seems a bit off...
> >
> > Is the SS5 drive backplane prewired for drive ID?
>
> If I remember correctly, the SS5 uses about the same drive backplane as
> the SS20.  80-pin SCA connector right?  The jumpers on the drive can be
> pretty much ignored, since SCA (Single Connector Architecture) provides
> SCSI data, power, and SCSI ID all through the same connector.  Ask your
> PROM for what the IDs really are.  The lower driver is probably 3, and
> the upper drive 0.  You could also look on the backplane, but I think
> the ID jumpers were abit hard to see...

I did not notice any ID jumpers on the backplane.  It looked all hard
wired.  There were several support chips, plus the two power/bus
connectors, plus the drive sca plugs.

Is there a way to set the ID's on the backplane to be 0 and 1?

If so, that would get around the hardwiring the kernel to the default
ID's of 3 and 1.

Thanks

Bob