[SunRescue] RE: $5 SS/2s

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 11:06:30 CDT 2001

Well, I am being retorical, but if you want to consider the real cost of a replacement NVRAM, it is the cost of the chip, the S/H to get it (or the gas/time to pick it up), and the downtime waiting. Oh, and make sure you get just the right speed, there have been some problems with faster than expected chips, IIRC.

So, take all that, and you are *approaching* a $20 repair, with $0 charge for installation, IMHO.

Now, SS/2, IPX, etc... systems have a value of somewhere between $0 and $20 without RAM, HD, etc. While half the price was an exageration, the *spirit* of the statement stands.

The value of an SS/2 (in real folding money) is inversely proportional to the buyers amount of experience with these boxes, IMHO. I believe Dave McGuire quoted tham as being about $30-40 w/RAM, HD, etc. a while ago.

How much money would you pull out of your wallet for an SS/2? (again, retorical, please don't bombard the maillist with SS/2 war stories)...

Thanks,

Ken