[SunRescue] Off Topic: Rescuing my Sun

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 09:36:13 CDT 2001

Just think it through - what would you need to start over again, if you had
to...

- What hardware would you need, where would you get it, and how would you
pay for it?

- What software do you use - is it licensed to a CPU? How would you get a
repalcement
  license if need be?

- How much downtime can you afford? 24 hours is a nice place to hang your
hat, but it
is very expensive...

- Where would you go, if the building was inaccessible?

- How would phone calls be handled?

- How will you communicate with workers, both the workers needed to rebuild
the
  environment and those who should stay home until further notice.

- Will displaced workers be compensated, up to a certain point?

- Network connectivity - how to recover/re-direct traffic to new machines?

Many folks define several levels of disaster, and then fill in the above
blanks for each scenario:

 - the servers are damaged
- the building is partially destroyed
- the building is totally destroyed
- a virus has brought every system into question (so the environment will
need to be
  rebuilt in-place)

This is the quick version.

The only difference between a BCP for a small comapny and a big company are
that bigger companies have more $$ to spend, more employees to assist, if
needed, and they usually have multiple locations, eliminating the need to
secure available space near-by.

Every item a big company has to plan for, so does a small one - but for
small companies, the answers are easier to implement.

HTH (my company is going through this process now...),

Ken