[SunRescue] Off Topic: Rescuing my Sun

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 07:47:35 CDT 2001

Well, the thrill of watching X windows draw screens in minimal, at best...

And there comes a point where you get tired of adding electrical circuits to
your server room/basement to power the beasties...

Granted, they may well be the best sub $50 server out there, but if you can
afford greater than $50 for your server, that would be money well spent.

And there is zero geek appeal in showing your friends the SS/2 you salvaged
from the heap, cause the first thing they are bound to say is "Why is it so
slow, I thought workstations were fast?"

Of course, donating the machine to folks with more time than money is a nice
gesture - get one more generation of use out of the box before it hits the
landfill.

When you can get replacement bases for *half* the price of a new NVRAM chip
to revive an old box, it may be time to reconsider the idea of repairing the
box vs. replacing it...

Ken