[SunRescue] Off Topic: Rescuing my Sun

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 03:29:00 CDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Never understimate a
> Sparc2.  Unless you've got a clearchannel DS3 to your facility, the
> bottleneck will always be the connectivity.

...unless you're doing any kind of local processing.  If you're serving
purely static data, even a Sun 3 will saturate a T1.

It's easily possible to need 40+ fast CPU's with over 40GB of RAM to
saturate a T1 with requests coming in against a terabyte+ database.  It
all depends on what you're doing.  Free text searching and image based
query by example are extremely resource intensive, web serving static
content is not.

-James