[SunRescue] Tape drive

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 13:11:23 CDT 2001

On 20 May 2001 01:27:52 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 20, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > If I ever get my hands on a spare alpha, I'll try it.  Somehow I doubt
> > that VMS is going to make much of a come back though.  For starters, it
> > would need to run on something cheaper than the sorts of machines it
> > currently runs on, and I don't think compaq is interested in doing that.
>
>   Hmm...you sound as if VMS is "out".  Sure, it's not the mainstay of
> the Internet like Unix, nor is it the mainstay of cheap game-playing
> machines like PeeCees...but I personally know of literally hundreds of
> VMS installations, with most running on very modern hardware.  There's
> a lot more VMS out there than most people around here might think.
> For some applications, it's simply the right tool for the job.
>
>   (It's easy to think of anything that we don't see day-to-day as being
> rare, obsolete, or esoteric.  I'm guilty of it sometimes myself.)

Well, I see (and work with) OpenVMS 7.2.1 on a daily basis, and I see it
as being esoteric.  :)
They don't seem to consider TCP/IP something that everybody uses,
because my 7.1.2 install (which I pretty much just let the installer
figure out) doesn't have any of the ucx packages installed.  Grr!  Time
to figure out how to install more stuff from the CD.
	Greg