[SunRescue] SparcStation Voyager Serial Port Strangeness

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 06:33:29 CDT 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 07:26:25AM -0400, Harry J . Regan wrote:
> Are there any Voyager owners out there?  What OS are you running and how are
> your serial ports?

I ran NetBSD just fine on mine, but it was a production model with a full
80Mb RAM.

> P.S. Anyone got any leads on the proprietary memory chips the Voyager uses?
> Running X on a 60 MHz machine with 16 MB of RAM is a character-building
> experience.

The ONLY way to get more RAM is to buy another Voyager with RAM
in it.  The RAM is no longer produced, hasnt been for many years,
and is impossible (literally) to find on its own.

As for X on a 16mb machine, I ran X, Netscape, and had multiple
users logged in remotely to my SPARCstation 1, for about a year -
I *thought* it "ran fine" at the time, but then, I was comparing
it to my 486-66 and was wowed by the fact that I had a Sun workstation
on my desk. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford