[SunRescue] best OS for a SMP SS10

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 05:56:57 CDT 2001

	I just found a gig for my SS10, I just want to know what
is the lightest OS for the box that supports SMP... I was going to
go with OpenBSD but ->

Multiple Processors/Modules in sun4m systems
     OpenBSD will not currently boot on some machines with multiple processors. You must remove the extra CPUs.
and NetBSD ->

additional processors (multi-processor systems will boot, but only one will be functional)

	I have linux installed on the box (debian/sparc is the best
OS install I've seen - netboot + everything off http), but between the
comments about linux's lack of efficient handling of memory on sparcs
and the fact it feels much slower that I expect, I'm not sure I want to
keep it. (apt-get + dpkg seem very sluggish for a box that does have 128MB
to play in) I have plenty of Intel boxes for Linux :)

	Seems like I'm out of options... maybe an older solaris if I can find
the media.

	The box is equipped with 2 SM41s, so you can see why I'd like both
online :)

	Tugrul Galatali