[SunRescue] Tape drive

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 01:21:18 CDT 2001

[ On , May 19, 2001 at 22:21:55 (-0700), Gregory Leblanc wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Tape drive
>
> What are the bad aspects of helical scan tapes?

three words:  Tape head speed.

(oh, and overly complex tape handling too, though DLT's not hugely
better in this)

(I'm not 100% familiar with AIT specifically, but I've seen all the
problems with everything from my old Betamax through VHS, Sony Umatic
3/4", and every kind of 4mm and 8mm.)

Tandberg MLR is one of the only other formats to give DLT a run for the
money....  Excellent tape handling (better even than QIC), and parallel
linear recording just like DLT.  Incredible tape life.  Even more
incredible drive life.  (Probably better than CD-ROM even!)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>