[SunRescue] Tape drive

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 00:47:52 CDT 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:27:52AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Hmm...you sound as if VMS is "out".  Sure, it's not the mainstay of
> the Internet like Unix, nor is it the mainstay of cheap game-playing
> machines like PeeCees...but I personally know of literally hundreds of
> VMS installations, with most running on very modern hardware.  There's
> a lot more VMS out there than most people around here might think.
> For some applications, it's simply the right tool for the job.

The datacenter at work, a Sun/Compaq Tru64 hardcore environment, even has
a SINGLE VMS box.  Doing what?  Fraud analysis/statistics/etc for a
Baby Bell telco.  Why?  Compaq isnt shitting when they talk about "nonstop".
Its one of the most reliable, dependable OSes out there, with GREAT security.

I started out on a VMS 5.5-2 box as my first access to the Internet, back
in 1993.  Didnt touch a UNIX box (SS10, Solaris 2.4) until 1995. 8-)

>   For trying it out, though, even a DEC3000/300 is enough horsepower
> to get started.  Give it a shot...I bet you'll like it! :-)

I've got a 3000/600 here I'll probably end up putting it on, once I get
the other 32mb RAM installed (total of 96mb).

Compaq/DEC also has a hobbyist program for free/cheap VMS media and
licenses:

http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist

Bill

--