[SunRescue] Tape drive

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 00:21:55 CDT 2001

On 19 May 2001 22:03:09 -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Whatever you do don't get an AIT drive.  They combine the bad aspects of
> helical scan tapes with a lot of added expense in the media.

What are the bad aspects of helical scan tapes?  I've got an AIT drive
at the office, and it knocks the socks off of our DTL-IIIxt (15GB) and
our DLT-IV in terms of speed.  The bigger tapes are only 35GB native,
and we get about 46GB of data onto them, which is a lot better than the
compression we get out of that DLT=III.
	Greg