[SunRescue] Tape drive

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 21:03:09 CDT 2001

[ On Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 17:10:52 (-0400), Ken Hansen wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Tape drive
>
> So I guess the answer is do you want to spend a lot on tapes, or on the
> drives? ;^)

I'll bet that DLT will give less headaches and problems, especially with
the media.  You do pay for what you get in that case!

I constantly have problems with 8mm tapes and sometimes with the drives,
and I've never seen a 4mm drive that didn't die young.

I'll trade my EXB-210 library with Eliant-820 drive for any DLT based
library any day!  ;-)

Whatever you do don't get an AIT drive.  They combine the bad aspects of
helical scan tapes with a lot of added expense in the media.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>