[SunRescue] Tape drive

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 00:05:06 CDT 2001

Yeah, I've seen the Murray Hill setup.  Darn cool.

Still doesn't do what I want though.  For instance, what if I save the
file ten times in a minute.  Then, all those changes will be saved in
ram, and only some time later when you are done editing does the change
get saved to disk.

What I want is for all the changes (or diffs of them) to be saved to disk.
When the disk runs out of space, then start deleting the oldest diffs.

Perhaps there should be a way to set it to delete in some pattern than
just from oldest to most recent.  Not sure.

Of course, when I say saved to disk, it makes some assumptions about the
way the computer works.  Like that I load a file to memory and have to
save it.  Really, I should just open the file and work, and every
keystroke is saved to disk.

But, to really achieve that, we don't just need new applications, but
probably a whole new OS to enforce this method of working.

Another thing on my todo list.  Need to familiarize myself with mach
first.  Perhaps I'll load xmach on my 486 and port a pppoe driver to it.

--
Joshua Boyd