[SunRescue] Solaris 8 DNS?

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 18 13:09:28 CDT 2001

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 01:46:20PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Friday, May 18, 2001 at 09:01:38 (-0700), Devin L. Ganger wrote: ]

> > No.  One of nscd's problems is that it does do negative caching

> I can't say authoritatively, but I heard it the other way around.

Well, man nscd.conf says differently; there's specifically tunable
paramters for positive caching and negative caching.  Not that this
would be the first time Solaris docs lied, but I'm pretty sure that I've
seen other stuff that talks about it and have seen some problems that
are best explained as nscd doing negative caching.

> The story I heard, from a Solaris developer, as I remember it, is that
> the entire doors and ncsd stuff was added to solve the NIS performance
> problems of one single customer -- a big one, but just one, and they
> paid.  No doubt someone thought that want's good for the goose must be
> good for the gander too and so it became the default in all systems,
> much to the dismay of everyone not using NIS, and even to some who do! ;-)

Hmm.  That completely contradicts what's published about it -- that it
was meant as an aide for NIS+.  At the time it was introduced, Sun was
still trying to give NIS the old heave-ho and never took interaction
with NIS into account except in the most superficial manner.

Which, again, sqaures with my own experiences with the beast. :)
However, here I'm relying on published material (Sun Press's _Solaris
Security_ for one) and don't have direct information from Sun.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;