[SunRescue] Solaris 8 DNS?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 18 12:46:20 CDT 2001

[ On Friday, May 18, 2001 at 09:01:38 (-0700), Devin L. Ganger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Solaris 8 DNS?
>
> No.  One of nscd's problems is that it does do negative caching

I can't say authoritatively, but I heard it the other way around.

>, but
> since its general caching algorithms are so poor, it fails just as
> miserably at that as it does at anything else.

There's no argument there!  ;-)

> Exactly.  It doesn't do so hot, as well, for NIS or NIS+.
>
> When Sun's own performance and security experts tell you to shut it off,
> it makes you wonder.

The story I heard, from a Solaris developer, as I remember it, is that
the entire doors and ncsd stuff was added to solve the NIS performance
problems of one single customer -- a big one, but just one, and they
paid.  No doubt someone thought that want's good for the goose must be
good for the gander too and so it became the default in all systems,
much to the dismay of everyone not using NIS, and even to some who do! ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>