[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 21:25:56 CDT 2001

>> BS.  on both accounts. (don't know about NetInfo)
>  Ahem.

ok, i can see that i'm going to have to change my humor style or mark it better
or something, i just keep rubbing you the wrong way and i am by no means
attacking you, nor would i ever.  you are completely entitled to your opinion.
my opinion is my own (and generally wrong, but we won't go into that, that's
a WHOLE new thread) and so i'll gladly blow it out my ass at your request. :)

>   Mike Nicewonger explained the DNS thing in an earlier message.  He
> stated that it only works if your resolver is on your subnet, and
> blows up otherwise.  He also stated that there is a patch for this
> problem.  My comments were for discussion, exchange of opinion, and
> possible correction...not to start a flamewar.  Don't act like I'm

i'm not interested in a flamewar either.  they are rather unproductive.

> attacking Solaris...the fact that I'm basing a new business on it
> should say a lot coming from me; as some poeple here know that I've
> despised Solaris since day one and have only recently started using it
> in its latest releases.

i'm an advocate of Solaris.  but only after having SunOS 4 pryed unwillingly
from my hands.  i don't claim that Solaris is perfect, as we all know, all
software sucks, however, i think it is given a far worse name than it deserves
(and i'm not saying you are giving it that name)

>   And no, there's no BS to *my opinion* that both NIS (both
> incarnations) and NetInfo suck big hairy moose weenies.  I make my
> point below.

*what*?!?!?  all opinions are BS.  the only thing that isn't BS is FACT. :)

oh, and every time i read "suck big hairy moose weenies." it's a virtual C|N>K

>   See Mike's info in his earlier message.  And I wasn't talking about
> 7, only 8.

only read his comment after replying to this, and......  that makes a big
difference.  on the 8 machines i have DNS is on the same subnet, but the 7
machines were all on different subnets.

>   There are better/cleaner/faster/more secure ways of doing it.  I've
> run big networks too, man.  Yes, NIS (NetInfo, or similar systems) are
> capable of making the task easier.  That doesn't make them the right
> solution in all cases.  I firmly believe that any tool that makes
> system configuration files and/or authentication control files
> accessible/administrable from the outside network is a bad idea.

if these things are being made available to the outside network then NIS is
the least of your worries.

>   I've had far too many bad experiences helping people mop up the
> remains of their networks after some script kiddie used ypsnarf (or
> ypsnarf+) to snag someone's passwd file and sent half the passwords on
> the system to his favorite IRC channel.  And before you argue with
> that: Yes, there are ways of preventing that, like firewalling the
> sunrpc port or whatever...but in practical terms, a lot of people
> don't DO that.

i tend to see that as a flaw with the people runing the network, not NIS.

don't get me wrong, NIS is not the best solution out there, but it seems to
be one that works rather well for what it was designed to do.  and it is
common enough that you can very easily get it working on a wide variety of
machines with the least amount of work (you can get NT/2000 to authenitcate
to an NIS for pete's sake!)

>   Under NeXTSTEP (OpenSTEP, OS/X, whatever it's called this week), with

i'm running out of coffee, but: C|N>K

> NetInfo (which is NOT removable/disableable, etc) for example, you
> can't simply edit /etc/printcap to add a new printer.  I beat on the
> damn thing for hours until someone finally told me "oh, the OS ignores
> all that old stuff in /etc.."  I was furious.

eeewwww, sounds like some other UNIX like operating systems that i refuse to
mention by name.  don't want to awaken their exorcised spirits.

>   Is the PCI support decent?  Can I take random PCI cards that work on
> other NetBSD ports and stick 'em in a PCI Ultra nowadays?  That would rock.

i haven't played with it too much, since everywhere i work is Solaris or
nothing (has to do with Sun service contracts and whatnot) but they few times
i've run it on PCI machines with "stock" Sun PCI hardware it has been extremely
stable and like i said, balls to the wall blazing speed.

>> i'll definitely have to add that to my super long list of things to do. :)
>
>   I know the feeling. :) I've only got the time to work with the VIS
> stuff now because it's a big part of my current keep-food-on-the-table
> project.
>                     -Dave McGuire

i never get to do what i want at work.  that's why i've got so many computers
and bits of networking hardware at home.  that and i LOVE old hardware and i
just think it's all cool as shit (VAX especially [HI BOB!])

-brian