[SunRescue] 450mhz Ultra 2

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 21:09:44 CDT 2001

Brian wrote:
>> well, Sun's "official word" and reality tend to be two completely different
>> things. :)
>
> Indeed.

what was it, something about the SS10 only officialy supported two CPUs max
but ran 4 CPUs without a hitch?  something along those line.  and that of
course is but one example. ;)

> Wrong. From the ok-prompt type 'limit-ecache'. This is how you can
> get stock Solaris 2.6 to boot on E10K or Enterprise class systems w/
> CPUs w/ 8MB of cache (which stock 2.6 didn't support.) The limit-ecache
> command cuts it in half, 8->4 and I assume 4->2. The other trick is
> to patch the jumpstart image w/ the latest kernel patch.

does this actually cause the machine to only use half the ecache?  or does it
fool the OS into thinking there is only half the amount of ecache?  also, does
anyone know enough about solaris internals to say how this may affect cache
coloring?

> I *know* someone mentioned to me about using 450Mhz chips in a U2. I don't
> know *where* this was, tho. I think someone on IRC, and they verified it w/
> a psrinfo -v.
> -Jon

well, assuming the answers to my above newest questions are to my liking then
this would be cool to try/do when i get to that point.  so dig up all info
you can find!!!

thanks,

-brian