[SunRescue] BSD faster than Solaris??

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 20:47:28 CDT 2001

I dont doubt anything you observed.  In my "touchy-feely" experience, BSD
running Linux packages in emulation mode run them overall faster than Linux
does :).  BSD is very well optimized.

Also, beware tests that rely heavily on certain types of math, e.g. Mhz for
Mhz, the Intel processors run things like the RC5DES cracking code faster
than the same Mhz UltraSparc.

And finally, the Intel Solaris is generally a pig, I dont think much
optimization at all is done with it, so imagine base code design for an OS
geared towards running on RISC cobbled together to run on Intel for mainly
marketing reasons.  Barf.

Gil Young
Call Sign: KG4KVX