[SunRescue] BSD faster than Solaris??

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 20:32:52 CDT 2001

Brian Hechinger wrote:

> >> i'm a huge fan, i think NetBSD rocks.
> >
> >  Yes it does.  It's capable of amazing amounts of work on even the
> > slowest of hardware.  And on fast hardware, it's GODLIKE! 8-)

I have an HP Pavillion with has a 366mhz celleron in it. I installed FreeBSD on
it, then ran a benchmark program called Unixbench and it gave an overall sys
rating of something like 58. On my U5 it gives a rating of 29.6 and on a 170 mhz
sparc 5 it's like 12.4 or so. I don't know off hand if the benchmark program is
any good or not, and I know it probably doesn't represent a 'real world' test, but
I run it, as I figure it's a good way to see the general speed of a given machine.
When I installed Solaris 7 intel on the machine, and ran unixbench again it gave a
speed of 30.5 So what I'm really wondering is basically this: 1. Is it possible
that a 366mhz intel is the same basic speed as a 360mhz ultrasparc? and 2. Is it
possible that FreeBSD runs THAT much faster than solaris intel?

-Mike

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *