[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 20:46:46 CDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:28:18PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Mike Nicewonger explained the DNS thing in an earlier message.  He
> stated that it only works if your resolver is on your subnet, and
> blows up otherwise.  He also stated that there is a patch for this
> problem.

Its only a 'problem' during install - it will complain that it cant
resolve your hostname against the nameserver, and you can click "ignore"
or somesuch.  There's no problem with using a nameserver ona  different
subnet for primary resolution - my U60 here at home (207.8.92.x) uses
ohno.mrbill.net (207.200.6.75) for main nameservice without a problem.

>   Under NeXTSTEP (OpenSTEP, OS/X, whatever it's called this week), with
> NetInfo (which is NOT removable/disableable, etc) for example, you
> can't simply edit /etc/printcap to add a new printer.  I beat on the
> damn thing for hours until someone finally told me "oh, the OS ignores
> all that old stuff in /etc.."  I was furious.

You sure can disable NetInfo - I did so when I had a NeXT box on my
desk at Texas.Net in '97 - never had a problem...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net