[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 17:27:54 CDT 2001

On May 17, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> >  Entirely different application.  Our biggest problem, if memory
> > serves, was memory leaks in the C library.
> >     -Dave McGuire
>
> ahhh, you were dealing with those long running proccesses.  yeah, the quick
> use this compiler which exits immediately thing helps to avoid memory leaks.

  Yup.

> >   I went back to NetBSD and have been happy ever since.  Though
>
> i'm a huge fan, i think NetBSD rocks.

  Yes it does.  It's capable of amazing amounts of work on even the
slowest of hardware.  And on fast hardware, it's GODLIKE! 8-)

> try 8, i thought i was impressed with 7 until 8 Final was released.  i'm very
> very very very impressed, and that's a lot soming from a guy who thought 2.5.1
> was the only way to go if you weren't going to install NetBSD. :)

  I'm told that 8 is broken out-of-the-box...the DNS resolver doesn't
work or something like that?  Sun is a stuck on NIS and NeXT was on
NetInfo...and they both suck big hairy moose weenies.

> Dave answered your VIS question, so all i have to add is: NetBSD does in fact
> work in 64-bit mode.

  Is it useful on Sbus Ultras yet?  I remember Eduardo Horvath basically
abandoned getting the Ultra1/2 systems working when he got an Ultra10.
Everyone around my area was very disappointed about that.

>  i just don't think Sun has released enough documentation
> on VIS for the NetBSD crew to get it working. ICBW.

  Yes they have.  It's all online on their web server.  If you want to
see even the actual assembler instructions, with enough context to
make them useful, download and install the VIS SDK (it's free) and
look at the *.il files in the lib/ directory.

  As far as I can tell, it's not an issue of OS support...it's an
issue of compiler & assembler support.

                 -Dave McGuire