[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 08:45:50 CDT 2001

>> Sun 690MP with 2000+ days uptime when i powered it off.  unpatched standard
>> solaris 2.5.1
>
>  VERY impressive uptime! 8-)

yeah, it was such a shame to have to shut it off.  oh well.

>> stable?  i tend to think so.
>
>  Entirely different application.  Our biggest problem, if memory
> serves, was memory leaks in the C library.
>     -Dave McGuire

ahhh, you were dealing with those long running proccesses.  yeah, the quick
use this compiler which exits immediately thing helps to avoid memory leaks.

>   I found that 2.5.1 wasn't stable enough for production use when
> attempting to put a very heavily-hit apache/php/database load on it.
> The hardware was an SS20/71 with 384MB RAM.

i've never attempted to use it that way, since i didn't get into the intenet
business until 7 was released.

>   I went back to NetBSD and have been happy ever since.  Though

i'm a huge fan, i think NetBSD rocks.

> currently I'm developing an application under Solaris7 because I
> wanted to make use of the Ultrasparc's VIS instruction set.  While
> it's nowhere near as "clean" as a nice modern NetBSD load, I'm
> impressed with Solaris7 so far.  And that's a lot coming from a
> long-time Solaris hater like me.
>           -Dave McGuire

try 8, i thought i was impressed with 7 until 8 Final was released.  i'm very
very very very impressed, and that's a lot soming from a guy who thought 2.5.1
was the only way to go if you weren't going to install NetBSD. :)

> VIS instruction set?  Is that like MMX?  If so, it shouldn't be too hard
> to add support under NetBSD, should it?  Or does NetBSD only run in 32bit
> mode and VIS in 64bit mode?
> Joshua Boyd

Dave answered your VIS question, so all i have to add is: NetBSD does in fact
work in 64-bit mode.  i just don't think Sun has released enough documentation
on VIS for the NetBSD crew to get it working. ICBW.

-brian