[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 16:26:34 CDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I know a professor here who would be interested in such a thing for
> teaching SPARC assembly.  He hands out a handout that he knows most
> people don't understand, and mostly teaches it by example.  He was
> impressed that I figured his hand out enough to tutor people using it.  It
> was the sort of thing that was written for people who know thirty types of
> assembly and lots of processor instruction set theory.
>
> I like SPARCs.  They might not always be fast, but they are certainly
> clean.  I like MIPS even better though.  Never had a chance to party on a
> PA-RISC machine yet.

eesh....  in my opinion, you don't want to.  I spent about 3-4 months
actively working on the linux/parisc port...  My HP 712/80 now runs
nextstep, because the whole process disgusted me *sooo* badly.  (granted,
part of this was the people I was working with...)

PA-RISC, in my opinion, is too bloated for a RISC implementation, and both
the processor implementation, and the general hardware implementation of
the parisc machines seem almost intentionally obfuscated.

Then again, I still find parisc assembler better than powerpc.

Then again, I still strongly prefer m68k assembler to anything else, so my
opinion might be a little off base. :)

-- Sam

p.s. sorry about my last, already answerd post...   always remember --
first finish reading your mailbox, then ask your question.

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown