[SunRescue] Caldera owns Unix? WTF?

Alistair MacDonald rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 16:07:36 CDT 2001

=3D=3D=3D bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu 17/5/2001 9:35:41 PM =3D=3D=3D
>Apparently SCO sold the entire SysV code to Caldera, a big Linux house.
>Caldera also bought CP/M.  Caldera seems to be buying up all sorts of
>OS's.

Caldera got all of Digital Research IIRC. That included DR-DOS, which is =
now licensed through their embedded systems subsidiary Lineo.

>> > They bought the product called Unix, and they can license it out to =
other
>> vendors.
>
>Is that what they really want to do?  There is no great market in=20
>that, really, IMHO, but there is a great opensource market if they
>can find some way to inexpensively meld the open/closed together.
>That might be were some fun may occur.

Past experience suggests they aren't good with OpenSource and that they =
would license it out. They originally promised to make DR-DOS open, but =
then back tracked. (Around the same time they came to an "agreement" with =
Microsoft.) Now the only people who can get "open" DR-DOS are DOSEMU users =
(and *we* don't actively tell people about this.)

However, before incurring the wrath of Amy, I suspect that any follow ups =
on this should go directly to me.

Alistair