[SunRescue] Caldera owns Unix? WTF?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 13:17:01 CDT 2001

Bob,
I am not aware of what you are talking about, but I assume that Caldera bought the part of SCO that used to be the part of Novell, that used to be the part of AT&T that was developing Unix. Is this what happened? If so, no biggie, IMHO.

They bought the product called Unix, and they can license it out to other vendors.

Sun doesn't need to pay, since they made a one-time perpetual license payment in the millions of dollars, IIRC (to SCO IIRC).

Owning Unix doesn't really allow them to do anything other than charge license fees, oh and control the definition of what is (and is not) Unix. I think their interest lies solely in th eformer, not the latter (they want the revenue, not the control).

Just my $.02,

Ken

Original post:

	For the sake of discussion, anyone care to comment on
	the recent Caldera takeover of UNIX?  Caldera is a big
	Linux house, too. I sense a marriage of the two, which
	could affect a lot of UNIX down the road, if I am
	reading things correctly.