Solaris stability and upgrades (was RE: [SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 09:09:31 CDT 2001

> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:19:49AM -0400, Loomis, Rip wrote:
>> We have three 2.5.1 boxen here (all SPARC 10-
>> class machines)--two to support US Government
>> folks (there are still a *lot* of fielded
>> systems that are running 2.5.1...
>
> Personally I think 2.5.1 was one of the best Solaris
> releases ever, and still one of the best choices
> for sun4c systems.

Amen.

> Takes a lot of patching, but its *stable*.
> Bill

too lazy to patch (other than jumbo recommended) and i still don't have too
much trouble with it.

> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 12:51:37PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>> You left out a lot of new/nifty extensions to
>> the ufs filesystem including ufs logging.
>> Essentially turns your good 'ol ufs filesystem
>> into a journaling fs w/o the need for disksuite!
>
> Yeah, and it sucks balls and leads to data corruption with
> IDE drives, at least with the drives (Sun-labeled Seagates)
> on the AXe/TopDog board that sunhelp.org runs off of.

IDE? *gag*  i've used SDS with SCSI for years now, and minus the GUI bugs (but
i don't use the GUI so never affected) i have never had trouble with it. i
think it rules in all sorts of manner.

corruption with IDE drives?  this is 4.2.1 right?

-brian