[SunRescue] SS5 upgrade

Paul Khoury rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 14:46:21 CDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001 11:14:22 -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:

>Much like with a windows box, you should appreciate this golden
>opportunity
>to reinstall from scratch on your own terms.

Yikes.  I haven't reinstalled the system since I upgraded the hard drives
last, which has been something like 1.5 years ago.  And I haven't reinstalled
the OS (thankfully) on my original SS2 for a long time either.

Now what about compiling apps?
Does everything need to be recompiled?  And is it fine to stay with Sol 2.6?
I don't see any benefit of going to 2.7, except that there's more memory-hogging services
running that don't seem to make a difference, and I was never able to get gcc to work
on 2.7 SPARC (only 2.7 x86).

Paul